Wednesday, December 2, 2015


       Elvis Aaron Presley, was born January 8, 1935 in Tupelo Mississippi. Elvis was supposed to have a twin brother named Jesse Garon but was stillbirth; therefore his brother was never born. His parents had little money and they moved from place to place. He was raised to have a strong faith in religion and went to church every Sunday. At church, he always sang with the gospel music group. 1954 was the year Elvis started his singing career at Sun Records label in Memphis. Elvis kept a side job for money and went to night school to be an apprentice electrician.
       Elvis’ first single was with Scotty and Bill. They did a sped up version of “Arthur Big Boy Crudup’s.” and “That’s All Right.” Elvis, Scotty and Bill all quit their day jobs to sing as a group. On October 16, 1954, they appear on Louisiana Hayride, a live Saturday night radio show. Scotty, Elvis and Bill then continued to do live shows with other famous singers and Elvis began to get more popular as his career grew. Elvis signs a management contract with RCA Records and got a recording studio. His first song was “Heartbreak Hotel”  “By the way I Was the One” was released on January 27, 1956. He sold over 300,000 copies in the first couple of weeks.
       March 24, 1958, Elvis was drafted into the U.S. Army at the Memphis Draft Board and was stationed there for six months. After his training on his first leave, he recorded a song called “A Big Hunk O’ Love.” He then played in his fourth movie “King Creole.” His Mother named Gladys became sick and hospitalized. Elvis leaves his training for an emergency and he visited her for the next nights until she died early in August. In October 1958, Elvis boarded a train to New York called the USS Randall and goes to Germany. March 2nd 1960, Elvis left the Army and arrived in New Jersey for a press conference. Afterwards, Elvis recorded a “Welcome Home Elvis” on the Frank Sinatra show and is paid 125,000 for his appearance on the show.
       Elvis began filming videos for his songs and played his audio in his fifth movie “GI Blues.” While he was in the army, he had an interest in Karate and he became a black belt. He carried it in his wallet until death. Elvis’ soundtrack for GI Blues hits number one and remained that way for ten weeks and was his most successful album. “Blue Hawaii” was the biggest selling album during his life, he sold 2 million copies in the first twelve months. On March 25, 1961, Elvis went to Hawaii for a press conference and then had a small concert at the Bloch Arena at Pearl Harbor.
       In 1996, Elvis marries a woman named Priscilla and they had a child Lisa Marie. For a Christmas gift he gave Lisa a horse. They later on moved to Mississippi and buy a 163- acre ranch house. Elvis was so busy making movies he didn’t have enough time to perform his songs in front of a live audience. He finally went back on stage after more than seven years. The 68 Special opened with Elvis singing his new version of the gutsy “trouble” from his film “King Creole.” When he sang his songs, he poured out frustration and creativity, he showed a lot of emotion. In the early 70’s, Elvis and Priscilla divorced and Priscilla left with Lisa Marie.
       November 11th, 1970, Elvis’ 32nd movie “That’s The Way It is” opened in theaters and it got great reviews. The following year, Elvis attended an award banquet. He and nine others accepted the honor of being named one of the ten outstanding men by the Nation of The United States. In January 1973 Elvis made television on “Aloha From Hawaii.” His show is performed at the Honolulu International Center Arena. The show broadcasted live in Australia, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, South Korea and many more places. His show was so famous that it was showed in more American households than mans first walk on the moon. 1973 Elvis and Priscilla made a court date. They divorce but stay close friends. They get joint custody of Lisa Marie, he and his daughter will spend time together regularly.
       March- July 1974, Elvis was on tour most of the time and was busy recording music. His song “How Great Thou Art” went on to win his third Grammy Award. After that, he continued to go on tours. Elvis bought a Convair 880 jet and renamed it after his daughter Lisa Marie. Elvis didn’t get the chance to ride his jet from being too busy. On the night he opens his show in Vegas but cancels because he gets hospitalized in Memphis until September 5th. Elvis finally gets the chance to ride in his jet he named after his daughter for the first time.
         Also in March through July 1974, Elvis had very many concerts, mainly in March. In one of his concerts he played a new live album, which caused lots of excitement for his fans. On August 16, 1977 Elvis’s health is worsening and a picture comes out to public and they all know he will be only lasting a little while longer. Elvis went to his last concert and then went back to his suite and died later, while on the toilet. He was immediately rushed to the hospital, but after they tried to revive him 3 times it didn’t work and he was announced dead.
       The autopsy showed that his cause of death was “cardiac arrhythmia.”
       It was later shown that Elvis’ death was caused from to many prescriptions of pills that no doctor would prescribe to him. Elvis went to the dentist the night he died, and his dentist gave him codeine, which he had an allergic reaction to before and they thought it played a part in his death.

       Elvis was then buried in Memphis Tennessee next to his parents and other members of his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment